Generate A Child Travel Consent Document with Legal Zone

Generate A Child Travel Consent Document with Legal Zone

What Is a Child Travel Consent Document?

A Child Travel Consent Document verifies that a child has the permission of the parent/guardian to travel alone or with an adult who is not their parent/guardian.

This document is also known as a Child Travel Consent Letter, Parental Consent Form, Travel Permission Letter, Consent Letter for Children Traveling Abroad, Consent to Minor Traveling Without Parents, and Affidavit of Consent for Children Traveling Abroad.


Is a Minor Travel Consent Form the Same as a Child Travel Consent Document?

Yes, both phrases indicate a document giving consent for a person under the age of 18 to travel without their parent or guardian.


When Do I Need a Minor Travel Consent Form?

These consent forms are typically needed for school or group trips where children travel with teachers or chaperones. A great example of this is a yearly trip for eighth-graders to visit Washington, D.C., with their history class.

A consent form should also be used when a child travels domestically or internationally by themselves, a single parent, a relative, a friend, or a group.

If a child is traveling internationally without both parents, it’s a good idea to have an official consent form signed by both parents.


Why Should I Use a Travel Consent Form?

Obtaining a consent form for a domestic flight is not strictly necessary, but it can avoid complications with TSA. Suppose a TSA agent believes the child has been abducted by the person traveling with them. The child and individual can be detained without documentation that the child has permission to be traveling with the individual.

The travel consent form can save you, your child, and the person traveling with your child from a stressful travel experience.


Do I Need a Notarized Letter to Travel with a Child?

Some states do not require notarization, but it’s a good rule of thumb to have the document signed by both parents in front of a notary public for interstate and international travel.


Can a Parent Travel with a Child Without Consent?

If the parents are married and share the responsibility of the child’s care, then one parent can travel with the child without any issues. Of course, you can get a consent form written up in this situation to be safe, but it isn’t necessary.

However, if the parents are separated or divorced, a consent form will need to be created, especially if one parent has sole custody of the child or the child’s custody is disputed.

If you are the parent with sole custody traveling with your child, you can bring legal documentation that verifies your child’s custody without needing to get a consent form signed by the other parent.


What Information Should I Include in My Child Travel Consent Form?

To create a consent form, you’ll need to include:

  • Parent’s details
  • Child’s details
  • Responsible adult’s details (if applicable)
  • Itinerary
  • Purpose of travel
  • Other travel details
  • Emergency contact
  • Allergy, special needs, or similar information about the child
  • Name of the witness or notary
  • Signatures from both parents (depending on the state)

A travel consent form does not give the individual power of attorney  over the child.


Create a Child Travel Consent Document with LegalZone

Traveling can be an exciting adventure for a child, and it’s crucial to make sure everything goes smoothly for them. LegalZone makes it easy for you to prepare a child travel consent document.

If you have more questions about whether you need a travel consent document, reach out to one of legalZone’s customer support specialists.

If you’re ready to begin drafting your document, click here.